Time passed since last Zaurus (SL-C3200 ‘terrier’) was released. Many new interesting devices appeared on market: Nokia N800, FIC Neo1973 and now Nokia N810. Each of them has something extra compared to Zaurus machines — Bluetooth or Wifi or GSM. And each is supported by vendor — thing which cannot be told about Sharp.

Recently few OpenEmbedded developers (Koen, XorA, Mickeyl) wrote that they got developer discount1 for Nokia N810. What does it mean for Zaurus owners?

When developers gets new toys they usually look at pile of palmtops and decide which one go to drawer or eBay and which one will be used. For example I have 8 palmtops2 now and most of time do not use any of them. I will probably use Neo1973 as main PDA when it will reach usable state and rest of devices will be used from time to time to test something. XorA wrote that he will sell own Zaurus machines and give OE devices to someone who wants to maintain them. Koen already do not use his c700 at all, same probably with Mickeyl. As result Zaurus machines will get less and less maintained and will bitrot in next year or two 🙁

1. There was developer program for Nokia 770, then for N800 and recently for N810. I tried with first one and ignored others as they support only developers from few selected countries

2. Those 8 palmtops are: PalmPilot 5000, Palm M105, Sharp Zaurus SL-5500/c760/SL-6000L (OE project device), Nokia 770, 2 FIC Neo1973.

Zaurus machines starts to be obsolete…

9 thoughts on “Zaurus machines starts to be obsolete…

• 12th November 2007 at 15:06

Agreed. Perhaps we should send out a call-for-action to the remaining Zaurus-users via OESF forum.

• 12th November 2007 at 16:31

The angstrom and OE lists would be a better place for a call-for-action, since the knowledgable people lurk there and not on the fora.

• 12th November 2007 at 23:55

a 3200 from me for giving away too…

• 13th November 2007 at 02:28

what does a call-to-action mean? I’m a poor college student, and I live in the US, so I won’t be using the neo1973 anytime soon. I’ve got a 3200, and I’m interested in keeping Angstrom working for the Zaurus.

• 25th November 2007 at 00:15

Features? Do the new devices have gsm/gprs? Yes, But do they have a console? Do they come with ssh? Do they support VPN?

I use my Zaurus (tosa) to connect to university servers to control calculations, Via gsm, on a console via ssh, And to fetch papers. For that I need vpn. That’s why I need the Z.

• 27th November 2007 at 10:29

Michael: Nokia N810 can replace Tosa too – similar situation (wifi, ssh, vpn, console, no gsm/gprs).

• Pingback:» Zaurus bootloader starts to be a real PITA » Hrw website

• 26th December 2007 at 05:35

If OE stops Zaurus support you can always use OpenBSD. It runs on the Zaurus very well.

• 26th December 2007 at 15:58

jebba: OE will support Zaurus as this is still one of useful test platforms — you have serial, keyboard, screen which are not always present on ARM devboards.

It is just that userspace support will not be as polished as it can be.

And about OpenBSD… It runs only on spitz line and I have c760 and tosa here which are not supported by OpenBSD now.