Sometimes it is good to take a look at IRC channel in the evening. There will be [new chromebook from Samsung](https://www.google.com/intl/en/chrome/devices/samsung-chromebook.html). Someone may say “So what? It’s just yet another chromebook not worth looking at.” but I will disagree.

What is special in this device? Specification of course 😉 Exynos5 Dual (5250) which has 2 Cortex-A15 cores, 2GB of memory, 16GB of eMMC (a bit small but 64GB sd cards exist) and all that in 11.6″ netbook case. There is no ARM device on a market which could be compared and run open source operating system.

I hope to get one soon — online stores will sell it on Monday. From what I know there will be a way to run other operating system than ChromeOS — I will switch to Ubuntu or Debian on first day probably.

And finally will replace Efika MX Smartbook.

New thing to buy: Samsung Chromebook

19 thoughts on “New thing to buy: Samsung Chromebook

• 18th October 2012 at 21:38

Keep us up to date: sounds fascinating, but I’d want to run a “full” OS with LibreOffice et al. Has it got an SD card slot then? This is the first reference to one I’ve seen.

• 18th October 2012 at 21:40

Yes, normal size SD slot on left side. I want Ubuntu 13.04 running on it 😉

• 21st October 2012 at 00:28

I presume it has the developer switch on it. If so, then this would be a good platform for ARM Linux development work.

• 18th October 2012 at 22:08

No one forces you to use Unity 😉

Or run ccsm and set other key to be used instead of Meta.

• 19th October 2012 at 21:38

just remap the chromebook search key to be the super key …I guess …

personally i would love to get the new chromebook … buy a bigger harddrive and install ubuntu as a dual boot … if you get one i would love to hear how ubuntu performs on it …

• 18th October 2012 at 21:54

I am pretty excited about it too.

Any information about it’s boot process (u-boot?), will it be able to boot off of the SD?

And then – it has a uSIM slot which is not populated. Looks like the 3G version will be available later. So maybe it’s worth waiting a little bit.

In any case – A15 laptop in 2012, that’s one of the greatest ARM events of the year.

• 18th October 2012 at 22:02

Looks good. And the price – £229.00. Not bad at all.

• 19th October 2012 at 16:02

Screen density/resolution is a bit disappointing cf. Galaxy S3 considering the processor is so much more powerful. But then the Galaxy s3 is twice the price… And I haven’t seen an Arm machine that can handle x with 3d effects (or maybe x can’t handle Arm) so maybe a conservative screen resolution is for the best.

• 19th October 2012 at 20:00

I think that 1366×768 resolution was selected to keep price low. Mali T604 present in Exynos5 is able to handle 2560x1600px resolutions and handle 3D on it.

And there are few CPU lines in ARM world which can handle 3D in X11 without problems.

• 21st October 2012 at 01:33

Nice. If you end up sticking Debian on could you make a post detailing this? I’m tempted to get one myself.

• 22nd October 2012 at 10:25

IF Chrome OS is already running on Ubuntu foundations as I read somewhere there might be surprisingly little work to install the repos you want…

• 27th October 2012 at 18:11

OK, mine arrived today. Will play with Chrome OS over the weekend and then time for “upgrade” ;^)

Pointers welcome.

• 27th October 2012 at 18:24

Read my Google+ posts – you will find all you need there already as I shared most of post from Olof Johansson.

• 28th October 2012 at 08:12