Firmware update usually ends well. Previous (1.15.19) firmware failed to boot on some of Mustangs at Red Hat but worked fine on one under my desk. Yesterday I got 1.15.22 plus slimpro update and managed to get machine into non-bootable state (firmware works fine on other machines).
So how to get APM Mustang back into working state?
- Get a SD card and connect it to an PC Linux machine with reader support.
- Download Mustang software from MyAPM (1.5.19 was latest available there).
- Unpack “mustang_sq_1.15.19.tar.xz” and then “mustang_binaries_1.15.19.tar.xz” tarballs.
- Write the boot loader firmware to the SD card: “
dd if=tianocore_media.img of=/dev/SDCARD“.
- Take FAT formatted USB drive and put there some files from “mustang_binaries_1.15.19.tar.xz” archive (all into root directory):
- Power off your Mustang
- Configure the Mustang to boot from SD card via these jumpers change:
- Find HDR9 (close to HDR8, which is next to PCIe port)
- Locate pin 11-12 and 17-18.
- Connect 11-12 and 17-18 with jumpers
- Insert SD card to Mustang SD port
- Connect serial cable to Mustang and your PC.
- Run minicom/picocom/screen/other-preferred-serial-terminal and connect to Mustang serial port
- Power up Mustang and you should boot with SD UEFI firmware:
X-Gene Mustang Board Boot firmware (version 1.1.0 built at 12:25:21 on Jun 22 2015) PROGRESS CODE: V3020003 I0 PROGRESS CODE: V3020002 I0 PROGRESS CODE: V3020003 I0 PROGRESS CODE: V3020002 I0 PROGRESS CODE: V3020003 I0 PROGRESS CODE: V3020002 I0 PROGRESS CODE: V3020003 I0 PROGRESS CODE: V3021001 I0 TianoCore 1.1.0 UEFI 2.4.0 Jun 22 2015 12:24:25 CPU: APM ARM 64-bit Potenza Rev A3 1400MHz PCP 1400MHz 32 KB ICACHE, 32 KB DCACHE SOC 2000MHz IOBAXI 400MHz AXI 250MHz AHB 200MHz GFC 125MHz Board: X-Gene Mustang Board The default boot selection will start in 2 second
- Press any key to get into UEFI menu.
- Select “Shell” option and you will be greeted with a list of recognized block devices and filesystems. Check which is USB (“FS6” in my case).
Shell> fs6: FS6:> ls Directory of: FS6: 08/04/2015 00:28 39,328 UpgradeFirmware.efi 08/27/2015 19:20 56 apm_upgrade_tianocore.cmd 08/27/2015 19:20 2,098,176 tianocore_media.img
- Flash firmware using “
UpgradeFirmware.efi apm_upgrade_tianocore.cmd” command.
- Power off
- Change jumpers back to normal (11-12 and 17-18 to be open).
- Eject SD card from Mustang
- Power on
And your Mustang should be working again. You can also try to write other versions of firmware of course or grab files from internal hdd.