In last Friday I made architecture change — sold AthlonXP 2200+ which I used during last 3 years and bought Athlon64 3200+ with DFI RS482 Infinity mainboard. This is 3rd such change for me. First it was from 6502 (Atari 65XE) to m68k (Amiga), then to x86.
Most of time which I spent with computer during weekend was fighting with machine. I made backup of my previous Debian installation and decided to install Debian ‘sid’ from scratch — of course for AMD64. Then I spend few hours to get
fglrx driver working (will write more about it later). Now two problems left to resolve:
- get sound working (I have
atiixp: codec read timeoutmessages which are known bug related to ACPI probably)
- get KDE working properly (Control Center list only one module but I have all of them installed)
But even with those problems I’m satisfied. Machine is fast (can be overclocked by ~25% if needed), I have faster gfx card then before (had Matrox G400 and Nvidia GeForce 4 MX440).
And now I have OE build running — building my own
umbaumba distro for