During holidays I found another usage for my current phone (SonyEricsson k750i). It is Bluetooth Remote Control functionality.

Basically it turn phone into HID device but the good thing is that user can create own profile for this. There is a tool for it (Microsoft Windows executable) and also those files can be created by hand (instructions are provided by Stefan ‘tommie’ Tomanek as part of his excellent guide about using this cellphone with Linux).

I do not know does it is possible on Neo1973 (IIRC BlueZ only has HID daemon) but I will miss it if it is not…

Bluetooth + phone == remote control

9 thoughts on “Bluetooth + phone == remote control

• 2nd January 2008 at 18:21

Try JamSE + music player daemon with the k750. Best Remote control for mpd. Even allows you to copy songs to the mobile. You also need bemused-mpc installed on your computer.

• 3rd January 2008 at 11:05

True. Bluetooth remote control is one of the best features of SE phones and it is also one of the most ignored.

Just FYI … following page has profiles for some *nix media players. https://help.ubuntu.com/community/BluetoothRemoteControl

I think BlueZ also provides some apis related to HID using which it should be possible to make an HID client. Correct me if I am wrong.

• 3rd January 2008 at 15:54

Onkar: thx for link. I need to find some time and add there my profile for TVTime application.

• 8th January 2008 at 21:20

You can try this project http://lbrc.berlios.de/ :

“A small programm allowing a Java 2 ME and bluetooth enabled device to control a linux computer. It consists of a client part on the device and a server part on the controlled computer.”

I didn’t tried yet, however, so if this work for you on neo, do not hesitate to tell us 🙂

• 8th January 2008 at 23:44

Michael: Application which is present on Sony Ericsson phones is done in much better way — phone works as Bluetooth keyboard instead of using uinput.

• 13th March 2008 at 10:29

Sukhjinder: navigation keys can be used as arrows without problem. Check SE Theme Creator (MS Windows only but iirc works under wine) – it allows you to create such theme in few minutes.

• 13th March 2008 at 09:57

Can the navigations keys of k750i be used to simulate Arrow keys of keyboard. By default they just move Mouse pointer. The SE docs say it can be done. Please Confirm and reply to my email

Thanks Sukhjinder