I have my own Protracker module player written for Maemo5. I used Qt because I am familiar with it and like it. But Maemo5 makes simple things harder…

First thing: which version of Qt? Yes — there are two of them:

• 4.5.3 which was ported by community, does not follow Maemo5 look & feel but is present on each Nokia N900 by default
  • 4.6 ported by Nokia, follows Maemo5 look & feel as much as possible but present only in extras-devel repository

I used Qt 4.6 because of proper look and working Phonon.

Second problem: moving API. Ok, I know: it is extras-devel so not safe for devices but why I have to rebuild application after each “apt-get update/upgrade” cycle? First it was removal of QMaemo5KineticScroller, then rotation code changed.

Rotation is 3rd problem. In recent packages there is support for automatic rotation without any code other then setting window attribute for it. It is even documented. But it does not work — even in official example. From one commit to qt/maemo5 repo I got a feeling that automatic rotation needs to wait for next firmware update 🙁

Good thing is that my application is small so adapting to changes takes small amount of time. And I hope that PR1.2 will finally give working Qt without many changes.

Qt under Maemo is pain to develop with

7 thoughts on “Qt under Maemo is pain to develop with

• 22nd February 2010 at 19:18

I know, but the question is when it will be. Once someone told that it will be in current week but then plan for migration from Qt 4.5 to 4.6 needs to be prepared so who knows how much time it will take.

Anyway after PR1.2 release I will probably push my ugly app into extras-devel.

• 22nd February 2010 at 20:10

Yes Agree I really hope they get in QT4.6 in PR1.2 and that it is relased SOON. Hopefully this or next week as some blogger said some days ago.

Cause QT4.6 is really needed now I think many developers is waiting until this has been added until we get more apps done.

• 22nd February 2010 at 21:55

autorotate needs pr1.2 to work. Qt4.6 is coming as default on pr1.2 and the development is targeting the other nice features available in that. Anyway, keep targeting the 4.6 development, try to live without the rotation until pr1.2 comes out.

• 22nd February 2010 at 22:45

Sorry for Nokia developing their software in the public. They really should return into their catacombs and only throw final blobs at us developers! Well, and of course they should stop improving their firmware after releasing the device!

😉

• 23rd February 2010 at 09:57

nice said Mathias 😉

Developing in public is good improvement. Next would be announcing API changes on maemo-developers/meego-dev mailing lists so we will not have to check Qt git repository for hints.

• 23rd February 2010 at 15:46

Small recent example: orientation attributes were renamed from Qt::WA_Maemo5Force{Landscape,Portrait}Orientation to Qt::WA_Maemo5{Landscape,Portrait}Orientation.

But the compiler + git grep found this for me, so it’s not a big deal. Having said that, a changelog for each release, actually mentioning the changes (an unfiltered git log isnt really helpful) would still be nice. Maybe I just havent found it yet.