I do not know how it is in other mobile phones but there is one annoying thing in my Sony Ericsson k750i phone. It is how it handle audio…

As phone has FM radio integrated I use it very often. When I go somewhere I usually plug headset (which was provided with phone) and turn on radio. The problem is when someone calls me… The phone starts ringing but it does not use headset for output ๐Ÿ™ Yes — ring tone is played on internal loudspeaker instead of headset. Good part is that radio playing is interrupted so I have occasion to hear ring and press headset button to receive call. Bad part is that radio is interrupted from time to time sometimes even without calls so it is hard to find out sometimes is it radio problem or incoming call.

If there will be a day that I will switch to Neo1973 (and I hope that it will be GTA02 version) then at least that problem will be solved. Or it will be solvable due to openness of platform.

Audio routing in mobile phones

10 thoughts on “Audio routing in mobile phones

• 28th November 2007 at 16:42

No FM radio indeed. But with Neo1973 I will use MicroSD card (1G or 2G size) with some music to listen.

• 28th November 2007 at 16:38

But there won’t be FM radio in GTA02, will there?

• 28th November 2007 at 17:54

I agree fully. It would also be nice, if it was easy to signal the audio source to continue whatever it was doing before the call started.

• 28th November 2007 at 22:08

good to hear…I planned to use OiNK (RIP) and a terminal torrent client to have the ultimate music player (basically the iPod touch wireless store…without the hazard of paying), but my plans were thwarted when OiNK shut down. Still, I would love to use the Neo1973 as a PMP, and its good this problem is addressed

• 29th November 2007 at 03:53

I was also surprised by such behaviour, but it is easy to explain: when you often listen to something over the headphones, when you come home/work, you turn the music off (or forget to do so) but leave the headset plugged in, and put the phone on the table; if the ringing sound only came through the headphones, you would not hear the incoming calls. OK the best would be for the sound to come out of both headphones and the loudspeaker. I think the N-Gage I had did both. But maybe it’s not technically possible to have the output to two devices simultaneously.

• 29th November 2007 at 10:27

Well, at least Nokia’s phones also ring through the headset. Be it wired, or via bluetooth.

It is good to point out such details, however. The earlier, the better. There are so many annoying “widgets” in nowadays cellular phones, that I can’t wait to get a truly open phone, to finalyl be able to fix them myself. Full Ack!

• 29th November 2007 at 13:06

I use the SE D750i and do not have the problem. If my headset is plugged in, the ringtone is only sent to the headset. Possibly the problem is fixed with upgrading to a newer firmware.

My phone is in loudless mode all the time and at many situations it is undesired to hear it ring, so the Neo user should have the possibility to decide whether he wants the internal loudspeaker or the headset to ring.

• 29th November 2007 at 14:14

I don’t think that would happen if the phone is on silent mode. It would ring through the headset.

• 4th December 2007 at 12:43

I also own a k750i – and actually the “trick” is, to just set the “headphone” profile to silent (just hold down the # while having the headphone inserted) – then it rings in the headphones ONLY – and when you unplug the headphones it changes profile.

btw. anyone know if the “user” version of openmoko will be available for christmas? I was hoping ๐Ÿ™‚