Recently I got more and more questions how to upgrade from Chrubuntu to Ubuntu 13.04 to get my updates. So I think that it is a time for me to check how to do it.

I will book some time during weekend for playing with Chrubuntu installation on SD card and upgrading it to latest and greatest packages. Will post how it went and which bugs I got during process and how to fix/workaround them.

As usual I will not cover sound cause I do not have speakers in Chromebook.

Looks like I have to test that Chrubuntu thing

7 thoughts on “Looks like I have to test that Chrubuntu thing

• 13th February 2013 at 15:27

Sounds good, I’ve done this a couple of times now… the main issue seems to be when upgrading from 12.04 to 12.10, you have to copy the exynos.conf from ChromeOS and I think also your Mali packages, then it seems to work no problems.

• 13th February 2013 at 23:19

So xserver-xorg-video-armsoc and chromium-mali-opengles needs update. Will try to remember. Thanks.

• 13th February 2013 at 18:15

I’ve done it and have a half written blog post with all this, that said, it was quite straight forward once you got the chromebook specifics like layout sorted out.

• 13th February 2013 at 23:05

Hello,

First off thank you for your work. I picked up a chromebook and was curious if porting Ubuntu is still in the developmental stages and not yet ready for an end user.

Thank you!

• 14th February 2013 at 11:13

Thanks for all the work you’ve done so far. I look forward to reading about your progress on this, I’ve upgraded to 13.04 myself, but I still get some errors, and I’ve not been able to install the chromium-mali-gles from your PPA as yet.

Can you clarify if you’d recommend using your own ppa, or the ppa:chromebook-arm/ppa that you’ve also contributed to?

As far as I can tell they have the same packages for raring.

• 14th February 2013 at 12:56

Use ppa:chromebook-arm/ppa one as this is official one. My own one is used for building packages (as it has armhf enabled) and then I copy binaries to Chromebook ARM Hackers one.