Today I created package with Polish regional settings for Maemo OS2008. They are working and show as “Polski (Polska)” in “Control panel -> Language and region”.

I used glibc 2.5 locale data + Ångström localedef and generated locale files on my N810. To make them appear as “Polski (Polska)” instead of “pl_PL” I edited LC_ADDRESS file like it is described on “i18n add new languages” Maemo wiki page.

Download package.

When I will make more Polish addons I will probably create repository with it (another one ;(

Polish locale for OS2008

14 thoughts on “Polish locale for OS2008

• 6th February 2008 at 15:58

Failed to install (on N800, OS2008). App Manager says: “Unable to install locale-polish. Incompatible application package.”

Then, AppManager’s log file indicates:

hildon-application-manager 2.0.2 /usr/bin/dpkg-dep -f’/var/tmp/locale-polish_2.5_armel.deb’ Package must have “Section: user/FOO” to be considered compatible. Error parsing depends list Error parsing depends list

• 6th February 2008 at 17:50

could you, please, release slovak locale as well? please, please. 😉

• 6th February 2008 at 18:10

deckardnc: Why I thought that sooner or later someone will ask about it 😀

I will look what can be done and use OpenEmbedded to generate packages for all glibc 2.5 supported locales. It just need small change to get Section set to user/i18n so AppManager will be able to install them.

• 7th February 2008 at 09:35

thanks a lot!

• 11th February 2008 at 10:45

What does it realy change ? I see only name polish(poland ) and nathing else…

• 13th February 2008 at 01:39

The Pimlico project’s Polish translations are maintained by me. Tasks, Dates and Contacts are fully translated most of the time (I check and update them once a month). I’m wondering why the full translation isn’t used. Were the packages stripped off of templates before the upstream vendor compiled the source? It would make sense for unsupported locales (to save space), but maybe there’s a way to add them back?

• 13th February 2008 at 09:23

Tomasz: There is no Polish translation of whole Maemo so I use English language for interface and Polish regional settings. And that’s why Dates are not translated on screenshots.

• 21st February 2008 at 11:22

Michał: I did not know that Symbian related website has Maemo section.

• Pingback:Język Polski w N810 czyli Polskie locale Nokia n810 Internet Tablet »

• Pingback:Marcin Juszkiewicz / 2008 Timeline