Today I finally connected BeagleBoard to LCD monitor — Samsung Syncmaster 205BW (20″ 1680x1050px) which now works as my secondary display.

I can say one thing about how it works: OMG! This is fast, nice looking and shows power of OMAP3 graphics capabilities. Did not tried 3D acceleration yet (it works under Ångström) but even without it it is amazing!

Now I have 1280×800 resolution and so far tested playing of video files. DVD images (DivX encoded) works nice, 720p are not so usable but BB is at least capable to generate jumping preview.

After Easter I plan to spend more time hacking BeagleBoard platform. It shows where the future of small devices is. Now let TouchBook appear on market and I will definitely buy one.

OMG! (aka BeagleBoard + LCD)

7 thoughts on “OMG! (aka BeagleBoard + LCD)

• 15th April 2009 at 11:01

Have you tried BB-optimized media libs for 720p? See [1].

• 15th April 2009 at 11:02

Hm, seems that your blog doesn’t support sending URLs in comments?

• 29th July 2009 at 20:49

Hi, How do you get the fullhd tv working? Have you patched the kernel for use with a fullhd tv? which parameters do you use with in the uboot bootargs?

• 30th July 2009 at 10:56

michi: I did not use FullHD resolution but 1280×800 (which is 16:10 version of 720p). From what I know BB is able to display 1920×1080 (aka 1080p aka fullhd) resolution but at 16 fps or even smaller so not all TV sets are able to synchronize.

How to get FullHD resolution? I never checked but I think that this is described in DSS2 documentation.

• 31st July 2009 at 17:47

ok thanks!

• 15th September 2009 at 11:35

Could you tell me how to set the kernel command arguments for HDMI LCD TV? I used a HDMI cable to connected the LCD TV, but I cannot saw anything except the BB logo. I used a HDMI to DVI cable can normally saw the Android desktop(include BB logo).

Thanks.

• 15th September 2009 at 12:45

Stanley: there are many parameters available for tweaking display. I use “1280x800MR-16@60” which works with my LCD panels (not TVs). You probably need to read DSS2 documentation.