2016 started so it is a good moment for post about previous year. I did that every year except last one (for several reasons).
- After sorting out hardware issues I started X11 on AArch64. On old, crappy Matrox G550 card but it was a start. Now I use Radeon HD5450 and have 2D/3D acceleration ;D
- Became “proven packager” in Fedora which means that I can commit changes to any package there.
- One of my friends asked for Realtek 8029 (10Mbps Ethernet card) for his retro machine. I asked few people and ended with sending 20kg package to Piotr. Few computers, hard drives, optical drives, floppy drives, few GB of memory of different type etc. But no RLT8029…
- Managed to visit some strange places just because I drove with Google Maps in the night… It does not handle “turn around and drive back” method ;(
- Bought LG G3 phone as my Nexus 5 was driving me nuts. Few months later I got new N5 from Google (sold it to friend), replaced battery in broken one and gave it to my wife.
- Attended FOSDEM (again) and Devconf.cz conferences. Walked a lot thought Brno, visited Red Hat Czech office where I met few coworkers.
- Sold Wandboard Quad board.
- Linaro announced 96boards project and presented HiKey. I wrote few words about it and have to admit that I am still sceptical when it comes to this project.
- Ate burger in a doughnut on Fat Thursday. Interesting, tasty. Hope to repeat one day.
- Visited Hannover, Germany to play Ingress. Lot of fun and driving.
- Pinkiepie (APM Mustang, my AArch64 devmachine) needed 7 minutes to boot due to some PCI error ;D
- Attended Open Source Day conference in Warsaw. Nice hallway track talks — especially one with IBM guy about POWER8 and ppc64le.
- I was asked “How do you run VMS on AArch64???” few times after I wrote how to run virtual machines on Fedora/AArch64. All because of url ;D
- Started playing Resources game. After few days made page with some helpers ;D
- Bought new tablet — Lenovo S8 (Intel Atom powered, Android). Was good decision.
- Saw amazing demo called “8088 MPH” which requires real IBM 5160 PC with CGA. Now I have CGA at home but still not PC/XT machine.
- This month we got something more enterprise with AArch64 support — CentOS/AArch64. So I had to test and post about it.
- Fedora 22 got released with working AArch64 installer.
- Visited Poznań, Poland to play Ingress. Lot of fun and meetings with old friends.
- As Flock (Fedora conference) was in USA I started planning my US/CA vacations.
- Made use of Minnowboard Max board and finished “media player for my wife” project. Runs Ubuntu 15.10 with Kodi. Controlled with one of those wireless remotes.
- RHEL Server for ARM Development Preview was announced and my AArch64 work became available in yet another distribution.
- First set of leaks of Huskey board arrived so I wrote about it. It was officially announced some time later but even now it is not available.
- Vacations part I. Took my daughter for a trip. Visited dinosaurs park, some old castles and visited family. While we were in Olecko I added set of Ingress missions there. Doing them was fun 😉
- Visited one retro computing event.
- Vacations part II. First Reykjavík, Iceland for a day — met local Ingress players, visited what was possible in short amount of time. Then Boston/Cambridge/Salem, Massachusetts for nearly a week — again lot of walking. Met Jon Masters, drank some crazy “beer with ice cream shake” and had lot of fun.
- Next was Flock conference in Rochester, NY. Lot of Fedora people from USA/Canada who never went for European conferences. Played “Cards against humanity” — have to finally buy a set.
- Then Niagara Falls, Canada for 24 hours. Crazy trip, lot of photos, free flu ;D
- Toronto was fun as well. Went for few interesting walking trips, visited local hackerspace. Even had good beer!
- Created table with syscall number for different architectures — contact me if it needs updates.
- Found out why XServer does not start automatically on AArch64 with PCIe gfx card and digged into it again and again.
- Visited “Riverwash” demoscene party in Kraków, Poland.
- Week with AArch64 as a desktop machine: day one, day two, last day. We are not there yet.
- Few posts “from a diary of AArch64 porter”: POSIX.1, PAGE_SIZE, VFP precision.
- Google released Pixel C — first laptop-like device with AArch64. Too expensive for development machine.
- Visited “Retrokomp” event and “Load Error” demoscene party in Gdańsk, Poland. Saw next set of old Polish computers. Time to switch to computers from 50-70s as retro ;D
- Hacked broken USB cable to be power/reset buttons for APM Mustang.
- Visited Hamburg, Germany to play Ingress. Lot of fun and driving. Met Alexander Sack under his house just after he left home for a smoke ;D
- Passed ten thousand of visited portals in Ingress. After two and half year of playing.
- Went for Microsoft Expert Summit conference and then for Jesień Linuksowa (“Linux Autumn”). Why me on MS one? Friend had a talk there and we were sharing a car 😉
- RHEL Server for ARM 7.2 Development Preview got released
- Wrote short note why Fedora 23 does not support several popular boards.
- Got Roseapple/Pi developer board. 3.10 kernel only, ancient U-Boot, no signs of any activity. Went to drawer.
- Bought myself a TV set. Then hacked it to work with my bluetooth headphones so I can watch movies when other people sleep ;D
- After few years switched theme on blog.