What did 2010 brought? Again new job — this time for Canonical as part of Linaro project. Visited few events, got some new devices…
- created first version of my BeagleBoard extension board - there were few versions later. Cheap USB hubs are essential part of such setup. With BeagleBoard xM such boards are not needed — but I never owned such board.
- complained about age of Maemo5 developer tools but in the end I used them cause MaemoSDK virtual image was easiest way for me
- tried to create repository with updates for Maemo5 but idea failed
- got e-mail from Christian Robottom ‘kiko’ Reis with offer of working for Canonical — it was second time when this company wanted to hire me and this time I accepted.
- FOSDEM as usual — will be there in 2011 as well
- created interesting video showing history of OpenEmbedded — few hours of rendering but result was nice
- Nokia and Intel started MeeGo — lot of time passed and still no phones with it (and just few other devices)…
- BUG 2.0 prototype arrived at my desk with set of modules — I did sent it back few months later
- had long discussion with Dave ‘prpplague’ Anders about some new OMAP based developer board. I gave some suggestions based on my experience and got added to early adopters list. Some months later this board got name: PandaBoard.
- tried to migrate Sheevaplug to Debian — SD card died ;(
- started working for Canonical — just to get informations on first days that I will work for Linaro directly
- wrote long post about features of good developer board — too many people asked me about it before…
- attended Ubuntu Developers Summit for first time. Thanks to Eyjafjallajökull volcano I became more familiar with German railway system ;D Event was good but I was a bit lost there.
- existence of PandaBoard was confirmed officially by Texas Instruments developers. We went for dinner later and I got added to early adopters list for second time ;D
- bought new laptop: ASUS UL30A to replace ageing Dell D400. Works nice, 8h on battery is good thing to have. During UDS-M I was able to work all day without having to use power supply.
- LinuxTag 2010 — never again going to just one day… Whole event or not at all — otherwise it is waste of time.
- switched from NVidia Geforce to AMD Radeon — Twinview was not comfortable for my dual monitor setup. HD5450 was mistake — XVideo and OpenGL started working few months later in experimental releases…
- attended Ubuntu/Linaro Platform Sprint in Prague. Nice event, interesting discussions — especially those with Nicolas Pitre about his previous work.
- Commodore Amiga ended 25 years — I did not celebrated it specially due to weekend in Prague with wife but otherwise I would attend some Amiga fans event.
- provided my first cross toolchain packages for Ubuntu
- had a bit of thoughts which resulted in “I am old fashioned” opinion ;)
- due to ISP failure I played a bit with doing Internet access by GPRS with Nokia N900. Worked fine.
- my work on cross toolchain for Ubuntu got into next stage — bootstrapping
- started hacking ApMeFo (menu organizer for Maemo5) — UI was disaster but I got it to behave better. Some time later I decided to abandon it. But my version is available in Extras-devel repository.
- wrote funny letter to fsck
- attended Ubuntu Developers Summit — this time it was much better event from my perspective as I was prepared for it.
- switched to coreboot on Alix.1c — boot time difference is huge. This machine also replaced my old Linksys WRT54GS which I got several years ago.
- got Efika MX Smartbook from Genesi — interesting ARM netbook but just 512MB ram ;(
- PandaBoard started shipping to selected people which started discussion about PB being Beagleboard killer
- my own PandaBoard arrived and I started discussion which got deep into Texas Instruments teams: how to detect PB version. Board got 320GB SerialATA disk and is running Ubuntu 11.04. As this was rare hardware at that time few guys from Linaro got shell accounts there to do their tests.
- debug board for Efika MX Smartbook arrived — my blog post was edited a bit and posted somewhere on Genesi website (with my permission).
- decided about next cellphone operating system — I am going to Android. Especially after I read that Nokia abandoned Maemo5.
In 2011 I should try to write timeline month after month (but release at end of year). It is hard to remind all things which I did not blogged about. 2011 was also year of Twitter use for me — so follow me there if you want more informations then just blog :) I also have FaceBook account but I select who I connect with.