2008 is ending. As before it was very good year. I have very nice daughter, our family has new flat. My company has clients with interesting projects.
- Bought Nokia N810 tablet. Had to do this in UK store because Nokia does not sell them in Poland.
- Released “Hrw Big blue” — my version of “Big blue” WordPress theme. No support any more for it as I stopped using it.
- My daughter Mira was born — she is cute ;)
- I bought car — Opel Astra combi 1997 is more then enough for us.
- Donated my old collie to Thomas Kunze to help improving Linux 2.6 support on this small beast.
- Created Polish regional settings package for Maemo OS2008. It also shown some bugs in Maemo itself.
- Wrote my palmtops story which require updating as I have few devices more now.
- Offered Zaurus c7x0 leather case for free. No one wanted it ;(
- Wrote few WordPress plugins: Recent Comments and Meta — I still use them.
- Poky Linux 3.1 (codename ‘pinky’) was released. I am providing support for systems based on it.
- IPKG finally died so we switched to maintained OPKG tool to manage packages.
- Cursed a bit during testing of Maemo media players. Recently I tried few more and still use default one.
- First April post about moving to London got amazing response. But it was only joke.
- Got N800 emulation working. Too bad that I was not allowed to distribute “config.mtd” file which made it possible. Later I discovered which flag needs to be reset and added N810 emulation infos.
- Created Polish keymap for QWERTY keyboard of N810 — thanks goes to Jiri Benc for his “ukeyboard” package. No thanks goes to Nokia Maemo team for not making it easy.
- Wrote what do I think about Maemo closed components which makes this nice device not so nice.
- Wrote how to make BitBake based builds faster — handy on multi-core systems.
- I was on LinuxTag 2008 in Berlin. It was great to meet friends again. Thanks go to Zecke as he provided me free tickets and sleeping place. I still have working liquid powered clock which I got there.
- Replaced my desktop with new one — it is nice to have more CPU power especially when lot of builds needs to be done.
- Defined myself as developer not programmer
- Tried to use N810 for car navigation and failed. Bought TomTom One few months later (works great).
- Played with connecting USB devices to N810 tablet — all thanks to USB gender changer adapter which I got from Keesj during LinuxTag.
- Started wondering which phone to choose as next cellphone — now I know that next will be Symbian (Nokia E71 looks very interesting as phone).
- Again was hit by crappiness of ATI RS48x graphics chipset — now this is not my problem as I added NVidia Geforce 6600GT inside and gave whole machine to my youngest brother (it replaced 5 years old AthlonXP desktop).
- I had 0x20 birthday — got awesome present from friend — puzzle with C code which rendered picture with greetings.
- GUADEC 2008 was great event. Istanbul is nice city worth spending more time. But at least I visited some places ;)
- Wrote a bit about using Poky SDK to build software — this apply also to any OpenEmbedded based SDK of course.
- Also wrote about packaged staging and what it gives — generally it can speed up repeating builds. I used it to make “build each recipe from scratch” builds of Poky — lot of dependencies were added into recipes as result.
- Intel acquired OpenedHand — I got job offer in UK but decided to not move. It was nice to visit London again, too bad that I lacked time to see anything (as usual). The whole trip was crazy (have you ever travelled on the night bus standing for 4 hours straight?)
- We visited my parents and I was asked (again) what exactly I do for living. So I answered and my mother understood.
- I resolved problem with Nokia N8x0 tablets emulation — one flag needs to be unset to make Maemo boot in QEMU.
- We moved to Szczecin, Poland — new flat == separate room for my work.
- Maemo Summit — nice event, lot of Maemo developers/users, met old friends, gave presentation about Maemo in QEMU emulation — people asked questions, I tried to answer.
- As my company ended second year I decided to drop “HaeRWu” part from it’s name (it was too hard to pronounce for people).
- End of my work for OpenedHand — it was good time and I miss atmosphere of that company.
- Started working as contractor for Bug Labs Inc. company - their device is interesting. They use Poky ‘pinky’ as base of their system.
- OpenEmbedded project migrated from Monotone to GIT so I started to merge interesting things from Poky (lot left still to merge).
- As one of good things in OpenedHand was buildbot I decided to start my own one on home machine.
- Unpacked Progear webpad to check how recent kernels work on it and update it’s configuration in OpenEmbedded a bit.
- Moved to juszkiewicz.com.pl domain — it was 2rd domain change since I started this blog. All old addresses redirect to proper one.
- Bought tickets and hotel reservation for FOSDEM 2009 event — I missed 2008 one due to birth of Mira.
- Got Koala MiniPC 2PCI case for Alix 1c board — need to buy proper PCI riser and it will be my new router.
- Got BUG device from Bug Labs Inc..
- My working space was invaded by Poky beavers.